Thursday, March 26, 2009

20 Essential Songs

In one of my day jobs, I work as a youth advisor for a group of teenagers in NYC. Recently, we agreed to do a CD Mix night, in which we each record our favorite songs onto a CD and do a blind exchange. Now, I have over 15,000 songs on my computer, so to select 20 that would appeal to teenagers was no small task. I decided to go with the classics (or, as my wife called it, “the school of rock approach”) rather than try to impress them with how hip and cool I am by picking a bunch of obscure indie artists. So I spent a few hours scouring my iTunes for the “essential songs,” but I didn’t want it to be too boring (or, frankly, to seem old) so I decided not to go with anything too obvious. Thus, no Beatles, no Eagles, no Rolling Stones, no Elvis, etc. Anyway, here’s what I finally came up with:

1. Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
2. All Right Now - Free
3. Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen
4. Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
5. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynard Skynard
6. Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
7. American Woman - The Guess Who
8. Radar Love - Golden Earring
9. Jack & Diane - John Mellencamp
10. Renegade - Styx
11.Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats
12. Bad Leroy Brown - Jim Croce
13. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
14. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
15. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
16. Walk This Way - Aerosmith
17. Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
18. Good Times, Bad Times - Led Zeppelin
19. Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
20. I Don't Wanna Grow Up - The Ramones

So, how'd I do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mate I'm a 15 year old male and I searched the first song listened to it and didn't even bother tryig to listen to any others, so if these teenagers are anything like me I suggest pickig some new ones sozzz

Anonymous said...

they're allright, but most teens these days listen to hip hop and rap