Thursday, May 19, 2011

Jeffrey Catherine Jones

I'm sure by now you've heard that the artist Jeffrey Jones passed away today. I have always been fascinated by Jones' art ever since discovering his one-shot, Ravens and Rainbows, from Pacific Comics back in my junior high school days. I confess I barely kept up with Jones' work outside of comics, and am hardly the most knowledgeable or devoted fan, but I felt genuinely sad to hear of her death, as if I'd just heard that an old childhood friend I hadn't seen in two decades had died.

At any rate, I thought this page from a longer interview with Jones that ran in the February 1981 issue of Heavy Metal was worth sharing. The quote in particular strikes me as a fitting memory of the artist's daring individuality, and the page gives a great contrast of her versatility and willingness to challenge herself. And in the off chance you haven't seen it, Tom Spurgeon's detailed obituary of Jones is definitely worth checking out.

No comments: