Wednesday, February 02, 2011

True Story

So, I'm on a packed F train coming into the city this morning, and a woman, maybe 60 years old, who is unfortunately smashed right up against me, sees me reading Fantastic Four #20 on my Android phone. Specifically, I'm zoomed right in on the panel above.

She looks at it over my shoulder, and says to me, "Is that Cubist?"

I smiled at her politely and said "no," slightly embarrassed, and hoping not to have to admit that it's actually just a kid's comic from the '60s.

But, like the old-school New Yorker that she is, she's persistent, and asks to see the image again. So I hold it up for her and she stares at it for a good 15 seconds.

Finally, she concludes, "Well, it looks like Picasso to me."

To which I replied, "No, it's Jack Kirby. He's far better."

No comments: