Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gilbert on the Beatles

I'm working through a number of old Los Bros interviews in preparation for my next major piece of writing on "Wig Wam Bam," and I came across this odd, but interesting quote from Gilbert (in TCJ #178) about the Beatles, specifically the common notion that Lennon was the better artist, and Paul was jealous.

"People make the mistake of thinking that Paul was the weaker Beatle, which is not true. He just decided to go the path of ballads and softer music. That's all. That was his decision because that's what he felt stronger doing. I think the actual rift between Paul and John was that they were equally strong, and John resented that in Paul. He could not eclipse Paul in the Beatles because Paul would always come back with something else. I think there was this real rivalry that just drove John nuts - and maybe McCartney too and he just hid it better, I don't know. But what I'm saying is, I'm defending McCartney because people always think somehow he's the weaker Beatle because he did ballads, and that's not true at all."

No comments: