Thursday, February 07, 2008

Love & Rockets #29

My latest Shelf Life is finally up at Sequart. I know it's been a while. I took a short break over the holidays to recharge my batteries, but I'm back on track now. This issue kicks off Gilbert's twelve-part epic, "Poison River," and also features Jaime's "Flies on the Ceiling," which is one of the top two or three best comic book stories I've ever read. As long as this column is, and I know it could definitely use an edit or ten, there were still several things I left out of my analysis of "Flies." For example, I could have talked about the gender of the devil, or the meaning of the rooster's footprints, or the hand-scrawled title font, or Jaime's incredible use of blacks and whites, or the natural way movement is portrayed, particularly in the dancing scenes, or his ability to distort perspectives for dramatic effect. Maybe when I come back to edit these columns into a book format, I'll revisit some of these subjects, but for now, I'm looking forward to moving into the 30s.

No comments: