Saturday, January 19, 2008

Nighthawks in the Studio

Did you ever get so hooked on a CD, you just can't stop listening to it? That's what's happened to me. I was down in the Village a few weeks ago meeting some friends for a happy hour, but I got there early and decided to kill a few minutes in the best bootleg shop in the city which happened to be right around the corner. I wasn't planning on buying anything, but when I found this incredible Tom Waits bootleg, I couldn't resist. It's a live interview/jam session he did on Vin Scelsa's radio show back in 1976, right around the time Nighthawks at the Diner came out. The sound quality is superb and it's interesting to hear Waits scat and tinker on the piano while reminiscing about his childhood in California. I haven't been this hooked on a CD since Citizen Cope's The Clarence Greenwood Recordings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a great store! A friend of mine says she can't go in there without spending hours in there.

Jane